MLB

All-Star Game nets record low ratings

NEW YORK — Baseball’s All-Star Game had a record low television rating.

The American League’s 4-3 win over the National League on Tuesday night in Cleveland had a 5.0 rating on Fox, according to Nielsen Media Research. The game was seen by an average of 5.93 million households and 8.14 million viewers.

That is down from the previous record low rating of 5.2 and 8.69 million viewers for the AL’s 8-6, 10-inning victory last year.

The Home Run Derby drew a combined 6.2 million viewers and a 4.54 rating in metered markets on ESPN and ESPN2 on Monday night, up from 5.97 million viewers and a 4.39 rating last year.

The rating is the percentage of television households tuned to a broadcast.

HOUSTON’S MARISNICK SUSPENDED: Houston Astros outfielder Jake Marisnick has been suspended for two games by Major League Baseball after his violent home plate collision with Los Angeles Angels catcher Jonathan Lucroy.

The suspension was announced Thursday before the AL West-leading Astros played a series opener at Texas in their first game after the All-Star break. Marisnick, who also was fined, appealed the suspension and was available to play.

Lucroy was carted off the field last Sunday after the collision at the end of the eighth inning of a game at Houston the Astros won 11-10 in 10 innings. The Angels catcher sustained a concussion and a broken nose. Marisnick was called out for colliding with Lucroy and the call was upheld after a crew chief review.

Marisnick said afterward that it was a “bad play” and that he hoped Lucroy was OK. He also posted on his Twitter later that he “made a split second decision at full speed” and he felt awful that another player got hurt.

ORTIZ RECOVERING FROM THIRD SURGERY: Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering from a third surgery after experiencing complications resulting from his gunshot wound.

Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, says in a statement Thursday that he is “recovering well and in good spirits.” He had the surgery earlier this week at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man who was sitting near him at the club.

Police say a suspected drug trafficker offered to pay $30,000 for the shooting.

Police say they’ve arrested 14 people in the case, including the suspected gunman, and are searching for others.

NFL

Register for more free articles
Stay logged in to skip the surveys

Gordon wants new contract

SAN DIEGO — Discouraged by his contract situation, Melvin Gordon has told the Los Angeles Chargers he will not report to training camp and will instead demand a trade unless he receives a new deal.

Gordon’s agent, Fletcher Smith, has confirmed that his client is prepared to remain away from the team if necessary when the Chargers report to Costa Mesa in two weeks.

The sides have been discussing an extension, but the lack of progress led to the running back toughening his stance this week.

Gordon, a former Wisconsin Badger who is scheduled to make $5.6 million this season, is in the final year of the deal he signed with the Chargers after they drafted him 15th overall in 2015. He skipped the team’s voluntary offseason program before reporting to minicamp last month. At that time, Gordon indicated that his concerns about his lingering contract situation were mounting.

SOCCER

FIFA cracks down on racism

GENEVA — FIFA is doubling its minimum ban for racist incidents to 10 games, and will start inviting players to make victim statements at disciplinary hearings.

Stricter handling of discrimination allegations is a key theme of the redrafted FIFA disciplinary code which takes effect next week.

“Topics like racism and discrimination have been updated, putting FIFA at the forefront of the fight against this appalling attack on the fundamental human rights of individuals,” soccer’s world body said in a statement Thursday.

The minimum ban for players or officials rises from five to 10 games, and victims can soon be heard in person by FIFA judging panels.

GOLF

Kuchar leads Scottish Open

NORTH BERWICK, Scotland — Matt Kuchar shot an 8-under 63 on Thursday to share the lead with three players in a low-scoring opening round at the Scottish Open.

Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas, the highest-ranked players in the field, opened with 67s — a score only slightly better than the field average on a day when 118 players broke par at The Renaissance Club, which was softened by heavy early-morning rain.

Kuchar, who has two previous top-four finishes at the Scottish Open, made two eagles on his first nine and ran off four birdies in five holes to reach 9 under before bogeying his last hole of the day, the par-3 ninth.

Get News Alerts delivered directly to you.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.