Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Saint Mary's men's basketball wins fourth straight behind late rally

Saint Mary's men's basketball wins fourth straight behind late rally


ARDEN HILLS, Minn. — When the Saint Mary's and Bethel men's basketball teams met Wednesday at the Saint Mary's Gym, the Cardinals used a career performance from Nick Falls for the nine-point victory.

Saturday afternoon, the two teams were at it again — and again it was a career effort that sparked the Cardinals to the victory.

Zach Kjeseth scored a career-high 12 points — all in the first half — and the Cardinals scored the game's final 15 points in rallying for a 66-58 nonconference win over Bethel at BU's Robertson Center Gym.

With the win, the Cardinals (4-1, 1-0) extended their winning streak to four straight and will go for five in a row Monday when they travel to take on Augsburg. It would be their first five-game winning streak since 2010-11, when they won six straight during an 8-1 start to the season.

The Royals appeared to have the upper hand early, scoring 13 of the game's first 17 points to take a nine-point edge before the contest was even five minutes old. Led by Cave and Kjeseth, that nine-point lead did not last long. Kjeseth capped a 17-5 SMU run with back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Cardinals their first lead of the game, 21-18 with 7:44 to play.

Neither team would lead by more than three the rest of the half, with Kjeseth capping a career first half with a buzzer-beating layup to pull the Cardinals even, 33-33, heading into the locker room at the break.

Cave and Kjeseth combined for 24 of the Cardinals' 33 first-half points, while Raheem Anthony and Kareem Anthony-Bello finished with six and three points, respectively, as the quartet accounted for all of Saint Mary's first-half scoring.

As was the case in the first half, Bethel had the momentum early in the second 20-minute session, grabbing a seven-point, 50-43 lead with less than 11 minutes remaining in regulation.

From there, the Cardinals took over — in a big way.

The Cardinals trailed by seven twice in the game's final 20 minutes — including 58-51 with 6:29 to play in regulation. A pair of free throws and back-to-back 3-pointers from Anthony-Bello and Cave gave Saint Mary's its first lead of the half. Saint Mary's would add seven more unanswered points to cap its game-ending 14-0 run and seal its fourth straight win.

Cave led the Cardinals' offensive charge, scoring a game-high 24 points, while Anthony — who had just six points through the game's first 26 minutes — chipped in 15, and Kjeseth and Anthony-Bello added 12 and 11 points, respectively.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News