Sgt. Troy Christianson

Sgt. Troy H. Christianson of the Minnesota State Patrol

Question: What type of license endorsement would I need to operate the new Can-Am Spyder three wheel motorcycle/vehicle in Minnesota?

Answer: They are classified as a motorcycle in Minnesota and you must have a standard driver’s license with either a motorcycle instruction permit, a motorcycle endorsement, or "also valid for 3 wheel motorcycle" under restrictions.

You will need to take and pass the three-wheel motorcycle road test at a DVS testing facility with a three wheel motorcycle. DVS recommends letting them know the type of bike that you will be using for the road test when you make an appointment.

Motorcycle means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including motor scooters.

All motorcycle operators must:

• Have a motorcycle instruction permit or endorsement.

Register for more free articles
Stay logged in to skip the surveys

• Register their motorcycle and display a valid license plate.

• Carry liability insurance.

• Carry proof of insurance when riding.

• Wear eye protection: face shield, goggles, or glasses.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson – Minnesota State Patrol at 2900 48th Street NW, Rochester MN 55901-5848. (Or reach him at, Troy.Christianson@state.mn.us) Twitter:MSPPIO_SOUTH

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

(2) comments

Captain Norb

I don't see the point of them unless you have balance issues or too old for throwing your leg over a real motorcycle. But anyway, is it allowed to remove the mufflers like it is for two wheelers?


get a huge fluorescent orange, cone shaped helmet too .....to complete "the look"

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.