Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

Ask a Trooper: Can you travel to Canada with a DUI on your record?

  • 2
Sgt. Troy Christianson

Sgt. Troy H. Christianson of the Minnesota State Patrol

Question: I am planning a fishing trip to Canada and one of my friends was arrested for DUI a few months ago, is he able to get into Canada with a DUI on his record?

Answer: Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offense in Canada and the officer can refuse you entry into Canada if you have been convicted of this. This can be fixed via one of two methods depending on the length of time passed since the conviction.

Option 1) For DUI and convictions less than 5 years old: An application for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) will allow travel into Canada for business and/or pleasure.

Option 2) For DUI and Convictions over 5 years old: A rehabilitation permit may be applied for allowing permanent hassle free travel into Canada.

Regardless of the nature of any conviction whether it be a DUI, misdemeanor or felony, all alcohol related convictions are treated seriously. It is always best to tell the truth when speaking with a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer because if a lie is uncovered you may be refused entry into Canada in the future and they will also do an extensive search on your vehicle.

Trooper Troy recommends staying on the Minnesota side to keep the money within our State and you are also able to keep more than one Walleye too.

Despite the port of entry or method of transportation used to cross into Canada, you can be denied entry for a DUI. Some examples include:

•You arrive by air at a Canadian airport

•You are not driving and only a passenger in a private or commercial vehicle

•Leaving a ship docked at a Canadian Harbor

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Sgt. Troy Christianson – Minnesota State Patrol at 2900 48th Street NW, Rochester MN 55901-5848. (Or reach him at, Twitter: MSPPIO_SOUTH


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

This is illegal and unsafe. Here is what Minnesota State Statute 169.46 says about hitching behind vehicles - “No person shall hitch a toboggan, hand sled, bicycle, or other similar device onto any motor vehicle or streetcar while being used on a highway.” In other words, keep it behind the boat. I would encourage some common sense to go along with Summer almost here!

The short answer is the speed limit and there is no tolerance. The reality is that there is no set allowance for speed by officers except the speed limit or to the conditions. This is a common question. State Patrol policy does not allow for any speeds in excess of the posted limit.

No, traffic citation quotas are prohibited in Minnesota. State Statute 169.985 says, “A law enforcement agency may not order, mandate, require, or suggest to a peace officer a quota for the issuance of traffic citations, including administrative citations authorized under section 169.999, on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis.”

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News