Jan Miller: Politically incorrect ponies?

2012-10-02T00:00:00Z Jan Miller: Politically incorrect ponies?By JAN MILLER | Goodview Winona Daily News
October 02, 2012 12:00 am  •

Hello. As a concerned citizen, I would like to say how shocked I am at the state of children’s television programming today. Specifically, the animated girl’s show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”

Last week, my niece was over and we were both on the couch watching television when her favorite show came on. It was the exact show in question. After watching a few episodes with her, I was dumfounded and appalled at how blatantly right-wing it was. Especially how much racism was in the show.

First off, we have the character named “Princess Celestia.” She of course is the “good leader” of pony land. She is a unicorn with wings, and is white all over. And the way she is portrayed, you almost get the sense that she is a reflection of George Bush or Mitt Romney.

And then we have the villain, “Nightmare Moon.” She is also a flying unicorn; however, since she is the villain, she black! And not just African-American black mind you, she’s black-black! She even sounds like she’s voiced by an African American! I wouldn’t have been surprised if the animators a had put a bucket of fried chicken next to her!

Then there’s the stereotypical conservative farmer pony, Applejack. On the show she owns farm and sells apples for a living. Of course this is a pro-predatory capitalism character when compared with the other ponies in ponyville, who are portrayed as lazy.

Instead of promoting the act of sharing and equal ownership like other children’s shows, Applejack preys on the other ponies by providing the only source of food to the town, all of course for profit. No sharing and tolerance here!

The last time I checked, animated children shows weren’t run by Fox News.

I hope this letter helps parents realize that they shouldn’t let their kids watch “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”

Copyright 2015 Winona Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(10) Comments

1. Jimmy Jim Jim
    Jimmy Jim Jim - October 29, 2012 12:44 pm
    I know. Gosh, pewter's comment made me laugh so hard.
  2. vatriss
    vatriss - October 04, 2012 3:35 pm
    Funny how the liberals are the first ones to pull the race card. Jan, you're the one who saw a black pony (not African-American, but black-black!) and immediately went to the stereotype "bucket of fried chicken". And, I hate to break it to you, but black & white have been used as metaphors for good & evil for a long time & still are. Go ask a computer-literate person what black-hat and white-hat hackers are if you want a current example.
    Would it soothe your racist conscience if they had all black ponies or all white ponies? Ponies can't live on apples alone, too, so maybe they should have one of the white ponies selling mayonnaise sandwiches (sarcasm). And why are you bashing Fox news? They are the only news outlet that doesn't fawn all over Obama. Please provide some specific examples of why you believe that Fox news and Mitt are racist. The liberals are the ones who see & hear racism everywhere even when it's not there. Oh, and it might be a good idea to watch some "big people" television instead of obsessing over the fantasy land of My Little Pony.
  3. pewter
    pewter - October 03, 2012 1:37 pm
    Yes. But it was intended as satire, to mock how ridiculous her assertions are. I tend to lean to the left, but that doesn't mean I don't see how preposterous her letter is.
  4. Jimmy Jim Jim
    Jimmy Jim Jim - October 03, 2012 10:25 am
    But since Jan Miller's a liberal, wouldn't she want homosexuality and marijuana promoted to kids?
  5. Sampson
    Sampson - October 03, 2012 8:52 am
    lol.... thanks for the laugh this am.
  6. Mike Steber Winona
    Mike Steber Winona - October 02, 2012 3:58 pm
    Methinks Jan refers to the "white" leader, who is good, and the "Black" villain. I guess she has taken this to mean that the creators of the series believe whites to be better; both in leadership qualities and in their moral rectitude. That, of course, suggests all others fall short. This would be the essence of political incorrectness, but I don't see it as right-wing propaganda. Most folks on the right are not bigotted or prejudiced against those of other races, genders, religions, or sexual orientations, as you, my friend, have so often demonstrated. The title fits, but would fit better if it had been indicated that the letter itself was the hight of political incorrectness.
  7. easy
    easy - October 02, 2012 12:15 pm
    I appreciate the common-sense comments. Remember Jerry Falwell and the "gay" teletubbies?

But I really want to remark on the headline, chosen by someone at the paper, maybe Jerome? The letter writer's accusation is about supposed right-wing leanings, and the paper labels that as Politically Incorrect.

So had they been left-wing leaning, that would have been Politically Really Cool?
  8. justareader
    justareader - October 02, 2012 9:37 am
    Good response to this letter in the most recent Winona Post.
  9. pewter
    pewter - October 02, 2012 9:05 am
    If you think My Little Ponies is bad, you should check out The Care Bears. Those left wing commies have been brainwashing kids for decades. I mean think about it. Cheer Bear, clearly an attempt to turn our kids into homosexuals. Loves A Lot Bear, why don't they just go ahead and tell our kids to be promiscuous, especially when she's always hanging out with Bedtime Bear. And Day Dreamer Bear, he might as well have a marijuana leaf across his chest and spend his time going to Phish Bear concerts. And what about Grumpy Bear. You can almost see D*ck Cheney's face coming straight through that one. I think they even had an episode that had him trying to skimp on his taxes. And Harmony Bear. Oh great, lets just teach our kids that everything will be perfect if we all work together. I could go on all day but I need to remove my tongue from my cheek first.
  10. Mike Steber Winona
    Mike Steber Winona - October 02, 2012 5:26 am
    I suppose if ytou try hard enugh, political significance can be inferred in anything. Change the channel, Jan.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif

Follow the Winona Daily News

AD BOARD

VIEW ADS  >

SEARCH ALL ADS

Breaking News, News Update and Sports Update Headlines. Delivered at 9a.m. daily.

Winona Daily News Events, Contests and Promotions

Business report, local Business news. Delivered once per month.

Local homes for sale.

New employment opportunities in the region.

Cars, Trucks, Vans, SUVs, Motorcycles, ATVs, Boats, RV's & more