A sneeze briefly knocked out electric power to abut 1,300 Winona residents Wednesday morning.

Travers Lee DeWitte, 38, was approaching the intersection of Mark and Louisa streets when he felt the irresistible urge to sneeze, according to Winona deputy police chief Tom Williams.

Williams said DeWitte told police that when the sneeze erupted he involuntarily stepped on the gas pedal, sending his vehicle across the intersection and out of control. The vehicle jumped a curb and struck a guy wire attached to a power pole, snapping the cable, which flew up and struck and snapped a power line, cutting power to about 1,300 Xcel customers.

Sparks from the severed line ignited a small grass fire at the base of the pole that quickly burned itself out, Williams said.

DeWitte told police he thought his car would be towed as a result of the mishap, so he drove it to an address on the 1050 block of East Wabasha Street, then walked back to the scene of the accident to report to police.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.